Sunday, January 13, 2008

小吃 Snacks


小吃 Snacks
Originally uploaded by penglisha

Ryan, Hana, and I went to the famous Wangfujing Street for dinner. An entire block of stands piled high with steaming food offerred us more choices than we could possibly manage. We ate some jiaozi's, noodles, and kebabs and then busted out our cameras to capture as best we could the excitement of the place. The food stands offered up just about every animal imaginable speared onto a stick. Besides beef, mutton, and chicken, there was also venison (the seller called out "Hello, Deer!"), ostrich, squid, fish, starfish, snake, eel, silkworms, centipedes, scorpions, and various other bugs.

As we strolled the length of the street, the vendors called out to us and beckoned us to their particular stands. Some, when seeing that we were not interested, grew more persuasive. One man, in particular, called out to me "Hello, lady! I love you! Come here!"

The crowds of people, the energetic street vendors, the piles of raw meet, the smell of freshly-cooked food, the delicious, colorful fruit skewers, all created an atmosphere of excitement at being in a place so different from anywhere I've ever been.

Check out more photos on my facebook account:
http://middlebury.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2027555&l=a48d2&id=4403142

1 comment:

Meg said...

Aaah! I thought Wangfujing guy loved me and only me! Now I'm heartbroken!