Tuesday, January 15, 2008

20 Questions

Although I am getting used to the stares and the direct questions, I have to admit that I was startled this morning when a man walked right up to me while I was waiting for my egg sandwich and asked me “你是哪国人?” (“What nationality are you?”). When I answered that I was American, he exclaimed “But you look Chinese!” While I was explaining that my mother is Chinese, another man approached us and exclaimed, “混血!” which means “mixed blood” (think “mudblood” from Harry Potter). Although this remark may seem rude, the first man remarked, “She’s half Chinese - that’s why she is so pretty!” Then, an old man walking his tiny white dog came over and barked, “How old are you?” After I answered that I was 20 years old, the street vendor making my egg sandwich cried out, “You look like you are 16!” The Chinese really do not mince words!

No comments: