Monday, January 7, 2008

地道 Authentic

I just got back from a truly 地道 Chinese restaurant. This morning, Sam told me about this great little restaurant he found that just served baozi and noodles. So a few of us went there for dinner tonight. I am glad Sam took us because if I had been walking down the street, I would have walked right by it without even noticing it. To be honest, if i had noticed it, I probably would not have gone in. The restaurant is long and narrow, wide enough only for a counter along one side with small stools tucked underneath. We sat at the counter and held in our breath as the owner squeezed past us down the lentgth of the restaurant to serve us. A little boy, who I assume is the owner's son, ran up and down the narrow space behind us until he started crying and was carried outside, where he wailed. The food was delicious. We all shared baozis and then ate large noodle bowels. Mine was noodles in chicken broth with scrambled eggs and tomatoes. So far, this dish is my favorite when it comes to basic, daily food. The lesson for today: my usual standards for restaurants don't work here. Sometimes the simplest, sketchiest looking places can have excellent food. Did I mention that the whole meal cost me one American dollar?!

No comments: