Thursday, January 17, 2008

Escape to America

I read a review of the Coups Café in a magazine and decided to cross two districts to find it. When I did, I felt like I had gone home. I walked in the door and breathed in the familiar scent of fresh-brewed coffee and baking bread. The glass cases in front of the counter held decadent cakes and tarts and fluffy croissants and muffins. I resisted the pastries, but not the coffee. I carried my latte to the second floor and settled into the cushions of a plump chair.

The shop is mostly frequented by ex-pats seeking their coffee and pastry fix. I had brought my Chinese books with me, so I settled in for the afternoon and got my homework done. Coups Café has strong coffee, sweet pastries, free wireless Internet, American music, and, most importantly, a clean, Western bathroom. What more could a girl want?

3 comments:

Meg said...

mmmm brewed coffee! where is this place? We have become Starbucks freaks since moving to Beijing, I don't think I've been to American Starbucks a dozen times in my life, but I can't walk past one in China without going in for the sweet caffiene fix.

penglisha said...

I totally understand! this place is in Chaoyang District the address is 2 Jiangtai Road. It is in a block with other restaurants and stores. You will love it!

Sarah Kirk said...

hey I went there too! pan chocolat? yes please!