Tuesday, February 5, 2008

MIA

Sorry for not posting in a while. I successfully finished J-term in Beijing, and now I am currently in Shanghai with my mom before I have to start classes again in Hangzhou on February 14.

After getting through J-term with no health issues, the day my mom arrived after I finished class, I got sick. After suffering for a few days, I decided it might be a good idea to try to get some medicine. So one day, while riding in a cab, I asked the cab driver where I could find a pharmacy. He drove me to a pharmacy, but instead of going in, he led me around the corner to a window. He talked to a man standing inside and told him my symptoms, then handed me a box of pills and some cough medicine. The labels were all in Chinese. Unfortunately, my Chinese lessons have not covered the names for chemicals put in common cold medicines, so I had no idea what this medicine was. However, after taking it for three days, I made a full recovery!

The cabdriver gave me his card and told him to call him whenever my mom and i want to go somewhere, so we basically had a chauffer in Beijing! Also, when we left he gave us extra cards to give to people in the US so that when they come to China they can call him up. "I have lots of foreign friends" he assured me. He also showed me a picture of a blonde couple with a baby. "See, these are some of my foreign friends," he said, "When they come to Beijing they call me up and I drive them everywhere!"

So if any of you would like a reliable, very friendly cabdriver in Beijing, let me know and I will give you his phone number!

No comments: