Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Hangzhou

Hangzhou is beautiful! It is much smaller than Beijing and has a more intimate, friendly feeling. The first day, I walked around West Lake. Check out the pictures on my facebook account:

http://middlebury.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2029048&l=873b5&id=4403142

I started class on Monday. I am taking a Literature class, a film class, a 2-on-1 drill class, and then a 1-on-1 class where I am working individually with a teacher and studying Chinese 20th Century history. I am really excited about my classes. The classes are also teaching me to use Chinese to express real ideas about topics I am interested in.

My roommate's name is Qingli. She is really sweet and protective of me. The first few days, she was so concerned with making sure I got settled in that she started unpacking for me, folding my clothes more neatly than I ever do! When she started folding my underwear into neat quarters, I gently told her that I appreciated her help, but I could handle this on my own. When we cross the street, she holds onto my arm and practically pulls me with her to dodge the oncoming cars, which do not stop despite the crosswalk. I really like talking to Qingli because she is very patient with me and makes sure I understand everything she says. I really enjoy chatting with her, and I am sure that after living with her for 4 months, my Chinese will definitly improve alot! She also shows me around the campus and helps me find the good places to eat. Right outside the backgate of the school are small alleys full of street vendors and food stores. You can find anything back there - milk tea, fruits and vegetables, jiaozis, fried rice, noodles, soup, Hangzhou specialty dishes, Chinese pancakes...In the market, I even saw a huge tub of eels swimming around!

No comments: