Friday, March 21, 2008

Nanjing


nanjing
Originally uploaded by penglisha

I apologize for being such a negligent blogger. It has been pretty busy academically now that I am taking four classes in Chinese! However, I am still making time to travel. Two weekends ago, Steve and I spent the weekend in Nanjing. We walked around the city, found an amazing western deli and a fabulous Italian restaurant. The highlight of the weekend was the Memorial Hall of the Nanjing Massacre. The museum was really well organized and effective. It is a huge, black marble building with different kinds of media depicting the Japanese invasion of Nanjing in 1937. There were photographs, videos, sound recordings, artifacts from the Japanese army, excerpts from the diaries of Chinese people as well as Japanese soldiers. All in all, it was really fascinating. Unfortunately, the weather was pretty miserable, so I don't have many good photographs.

No comments: